Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dad in Training: Penny for your thoughts

In the most recent issue of Kiwi Magazine, editorial director (and world's greatest wife), Sarah Smith asked me to share a few thoughts about impending fatherhood. The following is what we had to say:

Muddy dog gets impromptu bath in chilly stream
Any day now, our dog Penny (and our cat Pepper) will have to make room for the new little guy my husband Marc and I are expecting in July. We've read the advice in "Let's Get a Pet!" (page 54) and are planning on bringing a baby blanket home from the hospital fro Penny to snuggle. Wish us luck!

As we spend this Father's Day waiting for the baby, I've asked my husband to share what he thinks about adding a not-so-furry member to our pack.

MARC SAYS:
For the record, we did not pick our pets as child-substitutes or parent-training tools. However, it's impossible to ignore the fact that they've taught me a few things I'm confident will help me earn a "World's Best Dad" mug one year.

1. I'm an excellent pooper-scooper--bring it on, baby, I'm ready!
2. Sometimes you keep the leash short and tight, other times, you just have to let them run free.
3. No matter how much you beg, bribe, huff, and puff, sometimes your baby isn't going to listen to you and will end up chasing after someone or something you don't approve of.
4. Even if you get frustrated and upset, at the end of the day, when you've dragged yourself home from work and you are greeted by "headbutt hugs" and sloppy kisses, you know that it's all worth it.

From our growing family to yours, Happy Father's Day, and have a great summer with your kids!

Sarah Smith
Editorial Director
Kiwi Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment